SBS's blog on news opinions and developments in the NBA, with a focus on business.

Zennie62 On YouTube

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Manute Bol dies at 47: Bol's sprit of giving not well known

Manute Bol
Former Golden State Warriors player Manute Bol (who also played with the Philadelphia 76ers, Seattle Supersonics, and Washington Bullets) sadly passed away Saturday at the young age of 47 and do to complications from "Stevens - Johnson syndrome," which Bol reportedly contracted while in Sudan.

Bol is being celebrated as one of the NBA's best defensive players in history, but Bol's also praised for his work in the sprit of giving. The Kansas City Star reported in May - as Bol was in the hospital for the condition that would ultimately take his life - that Manute Bol's charitable work for Sudan was not well-recognized by the public.

Bol's focus was helping those less fortunate in his home country of Sudan. One of the organizations Bol supported is called "Alliance For The Lost Boys of Sudan."

Alliance For The Lost Boys is an organization that supplies medical and dental coverage as well as educational funding and school supplies for the boys of Sudan. Specifically, the estimated 27,000 Sudanese boys who were displaced from their families during the Second Sudanese Civil War. A war where Bol himself lost several hundred family members. A war that saw 2 million killed; 3,800 boys were orphaned in America, mostly in the State of Arizona, Chicago and the State of Florida.

(That Arizona has Sundanese orphans makes one wonder if they too are being harmed by that states' Hitler-like illegal immigration law and the intense racism expressed by some there.)

This comment summed up Bol's thoughts: "There’s no way I can put the money in my pocket while my people are getting beat up. Whatever I can do to help my people I will do. I feel whatever I make here I make for my people."

The Kansas City Star 's Sam Mellinger wrote that Bol "has given so much and received little in comparison." And in a set of paragraphs that makes any one want to cry, Mellinger wrote:

He was once lured back to his home country with the promise of a cabinet post, only to find out he would be required to convert to Islam. When he refused, he was stranded for nearly five years. His trust and good intentions have been abused so many times.

Even while playing, he went into war zones to help the Lost Boys and other refugees. Sometimes, those visits were interrupted by bombings from warlords who viewed Bol as a threat.

His family was wiped out by Darfurians, but when that country became victims, Bol was one of the first Sudanese to speak out in support. A Christian, he told his people that extremists were the enemy, not Muslims.

he uncomfortable part of this is that we’ll appreciate Bol, 47, more when he’s gone, whenever that comes.

You know, there are times when I have said "I wish someone would have told me about that; I'd have done what I could to help." Manute Bol's story is one of those times I wish someone had contacted me. A person's story is a collection of small contributions; that's one I would have certainly made.

Manute Bol's in a better place. And, while it's after his passing, we should stop to celebrate Manute Bol's time on Earth.

God bless Manute Bol.

No comments: